With the passage of the Affordable Care Act / Obamacare, comes with winners and losers. In this article, we will look at the winners of the new health care reform:
Affordable Care Act Winners
- Low-Income adults (with no children) – Most adults with no children were not eligibile for Medicaid under the old rules are now eligible starting in 2014 for those States that choose to expand Medicaid.
- Middle Class households with income under $92,200 for a family of four who pay for their own insurance. Starting in 2014, the middle class households are eligible to get a premium subsidy when they buy the insurance.
- Young Adults are now eligible to stay on their parents’s health insurance plan until age 26. Before Affordable Care Act, children had to have their own health insurance when they turned 21.
- Insurance companies are winners as they get more customers buying health insurance with the individual mandate. Insurance companies are also losers as they must comply with new regulations.
- Chronically ill patients are winners as lifetime caps on their caps are lifted