Washington DC Affordable Care Act Comprehensive Guide
In this article, you will learn about the Affordable Care Act health care reform laws in Washington DC. You will get an understanding of how the health care law impacts you as a citizen of the state. Learn how to sign-up for Affordable Care Act, learn about the Affordable Care Act penalty and subsidies, and much more.
What is Washington DC Affordable Care Act?
Affordable Care Act, also know as Obama Care, was signed into law in March 2010. The goal of Affordable Care Act is to provide US citizens with affordable health insurance and to reduce the cost of health care spending for families and in America.
The Key Points of the Affordable Care Act / Washington DC Obamacare:
- Improving Quality and Lowering Health Care Cost
- Access to Affordable Health Care
- New Consumer Protections
- Individual Mandate | Employer Mandate
- Minimum Essential Coverage for each Health Insurance Plans
How to Apply for Washington DC Affordable Care Act?
Washington DC Affordable Care Act marketplace is run by District of Columbia Click on DC Health Link to access Washington DC Affordable Care Act Marketplace. You can preview the different insurance plans and see participating doctors before selecting the final health insurance plan.
|State||Federal or State Marketplace||Website||Medicaid Expansion?|
When can I apply for Washington DC Affordable Care Act (Washington DC ACA)?
Washington DC Affordable Care Act’s Open Enrollment 2015-2016 starts on November 1, 2015, and ends on January 31, 2016. To have health insurance coverage beginning on January 2016, you must apply before December 15, 2015, deadline.
In order to qualify for Tax Credit or Premium Tax Subsidies, you must purchase health insurance from the Affordable Care Act Marketplace during Open Enrollment period.
If you qualify for Washington DC Medicaid health insurance, then you can sign-up Medicaid anytime of the year.
When is the deadline for Washington DC Affordable Care Act (DC ACA)?
Important dates for Washington DC Affordable Care Act deadlines: The absolute last day to purchase health insurance from the Marketplace is January 31, 2016.
- December 15, 2015: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start January 1, 2016
- January 1, 2016: 2016 coverage starts for those who enroll or change plans by December 15.
- January 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start February 1, 2016
- January 31, 2016: 2016 Open Enrollment ends. Enrollments or changes between January 16 and January 31 take effect March 1, 2016.
How much is Washington DC Affordable Care Act?
There are four different plans within the Washington DC Affordable Care Act. The metal plans represent the various levels of coverage you receive and what the plan pays on average. The plan levels DO NOT represent the quality of the health coverage/doctors you receive.
- Bronze Plan: The plan pays 60% of the cost, you pay 40% of the cost
- Silver Plan: The plan pays 70% of the cost, you pay 30% of the cost
- Gold Plan: The plan pays 80% of the cost, you pay 20% of the cost
- Platinum Plan: The plan pays 90% of the cost, you pay 10% of the cost
The cost of Affordable Care Act in Washington DC depends on the metal plan you choose and the number of people in the household. Platinum plans have the highest insurance premiums (monthly cost) and Bronze plans have the lowest insurance premiums.
|State||Year||Avg. Monthly Silver Plan (before Tax Credits)||US Average|
What are the Washington DC Affordable Care Act Eligibility Requirements?
In order to get Washington DC Affordable Care Act, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must live in Washington DC
- Must be a US citizen, national, or lawfully present immigrant
- Cannot be currently incarcerated (be in jailed)
- Have a valid Social Security Number
- and few other requirements
Do I need to get Washington DC Affordable Care Act?
Yes, every individual in Washington DC needs to have health insurance. The Individual Mandate of Affordable Care Act health care law requires US Citizen to enroll in a health insurance plan or pay a penalty. If you have Medicaid or company sponsored health insurance, you have met the insurance coverage requirement.
You can choose not to have health insurance, but you have to pay the penalty in addition to the hospitals/doctors medical fee if you do get sick.
How much is Affordable Care Act Penalty in Washington DC?
The penalty (or also called individual shared responsibility payment) is calculated in two ways.
For 2016 year, the ACA penalty is as follows:
- By percentage of income (2.5% of household income or maximum of National Average Bronze plan premium)
- By number of people in the household ($695 per adult, $347.50 per child or maximum $2085)
You’ll pay whichever penalty is higher.
How much are Washington DC ACA Subsidies? What are the requirements?
Affordable Care Act Subsidies are also called, “Premium Tax Credits.”
ACA subsidy lowers your premium – the amount you pay each month to your insurance plan.The amount of your ACA Subsidy depends on the estimated household income that you put on your ACA Marketplace application.
In order to qualify for Affordable Care Act Subsidy, your income must be between 100% to 400% of the Federal Poverty Level.
|Federal Poverty Level||Insurance Premium After PTC Subsidy|
|Up to 133% FPL||2% of income|
|133-150% FPL||3%-4% of income|
|150-2000% FPL||4%-6.3% of income|
|200-250% FPL||6.3%-8.05% of income|
|250-300% FPL||8.05%-9.5% of income|
|300-400% FPL||9.5 of income|
|Over 400% FPL||No Government Subsidy|
Medicaid Expansion under the Affordable Care Act
With the new health care reform, the Federal government offered incentives for states to expand the Medicaid program. 30 states out of the 50 states plus Washington DC expanded Medicaid program while 20 states decided not to expand Medicaid due to expected future cut back funding from the Federal government.
Washington DC expanded the Medicaid program under the Affordable Care Act Health Care Reform.
Insurance Companies that offer Affordable Care Act Health Insurance Plans in Washington DC:
The following insurance companies are offering Affordable Care Act Plans in the Marketplace.
- Aetna Inc.
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
- Kaiser Permanente
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Washington DC Affordable Care Act:
- Who runs the Washington DC Affordable Care Act? Washington DC
- Where can I sign up for Washington DC Affordable Care Act? Click here
- Do I need to get health insurance or Affordable Care Act? Yes, if not, you have to pay a penalty.
- How much is Washington DC Affordable Care Act? Click here for the average ACA premium
- Did Washington DC expand Medicaid under Affordable Care Act? Yes
Click here for more Frequently Asked Questions on Obamacare / Affordable Care Act.
For more Information on Washington DC Obamacare / Affordable Care Act:
Federal HealthCare.Gov Marketplace
District of Columbia Healthcare Finance
Office of the Ombudsman
441 4th St, NW (9th and 10th Fl.)
Washington, DC 20001