Affordable Care Act 2010 Timeline
- March 2010: President Barack Obama signs Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obama Care) into law
- July 2010: Government-run high risk pool setup to provide insurance for adults with a pre-existing health condition until all insurance plans provide this coverage in January 2014
- September 2010:
- Children under age 18 can no longer be rejected by insurers because they have a pre-existing health condition
- Children up to age 26 can be insured as dependents covered by their parents’ insurance policy.
- Insurance plans can no longer impose a lifetime limit on a policyholders’ benefits
- Maximum tax credit of 35 percent available to small business with 25 or fewer employees