West Virginia Affordable Care Act Comprehensive Guide
In this article, you will learn about the Affordable Care Act health care reform laws in West Virginia. You will get an understanding of how the health care law impacts you as a citizen of the state. Learn how to sign-up for the Affordable Care Act, learn about the Affordable Care Act penalty and subsidies, and much more.
What is West Virginia Affordable Care Act?
The Key Points of the Affordable Care Act / West Virginia Obamacare:
- Improving Quality and Lowering Health Care Cost
- Access to Affordable Health Care
- New Consumer Protections
- Individual Mandate | Employer Mandate
- Minimum Essential Coverage for each Health Insurance Plans
How to Apply for West Virginia Affordable Care Act?
West Virginia Affordable Care Act marketplace is run by the Federal government. Click on HealthCare.gov to access West Virginia Affordable Care Act Marketplace. You can preview the different insurance plans and see participating doctors before selecting the final health insurance plan.
|State||Federal or State Marketplace||Website||Medicaid Expansion?|
When can I apply for West Virginia Affordable Care Act (West Virginia ACA)?
West Virginia Affordable Care Act’s Open Enrollment starts on November 1 and ends on December 15. To have health insurance coverage beginning in the following year, you must apply before the December 15 deadline.
If you qualify for West Virginia Medicaid health insurance, then you can sign-up for Medicaid any time of the year.
When is the deadline for West Virginia Affordable Care Act (WVACA)?
Important dates for West Virginia Affordable Care Act deadlines: The absolute last day to purchase health insurance from the Marketplace is December 15.
- November 1: First day to enroll in or change plans for new insurance
- December 15: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start the new year
How much is West Virginia Affordable Care Act?
There are four different plans within the West Virginia Affordable Care Act. The metal plans represent the various levels of coverage you receive and what the plan pays on average. The plan levels DO NOT represent the quality of the health coverage/doctors you receive.
- Bronze Plan: The plan pays 60% of the cost, you pay 40% of the cost
- Silver Plan: The plan pays 70% of the cost, you pay 30% of the cost
- Gold Plan: The plan pays 80% of the cost, you pay 20% of the cost
- Platinum Plan: The plan pays 90% of the cost, you pay 10% of the cost
The cost of the Affordable Care Act in West Virginia depends on the metal plan you choose and the number of people in the household. Platinum plans have the highest insurance premiums (monthly cost) and Bronze plans have the lowest insurance premiums.
What are the West Virginia Affordable Care Act Eligibility Requirements?
In order to get West Virginia Affordable Care Act, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must live in West Virginia
- Must be a US citizen, national, or lawfully present, immigrant
- Cannot be currently incarcerated (be in jailed)
- Have a valid Social Security Number
- and few other requirements
Do I need to get West Virginia Affordable Care Act?
Yes, every individual in West Virginia needs to have health insurance. The Individual Mandate of Affordable Care Act health care law requires US citizens to enroll in a health insurance plan or pay a penalty. If you have Medicaid or company-sponsored health insurance, you have met the insurance coverage requirement.
How much is the Affordable Care Act Penalty in West Virginia?
The penalty (or also called individual shared responsibility payment) is calculated in two ways.
Starting in the 2019 tax year, there is no longer a penalty for not having health insurance.
From 2016-2018, the ACA penalty is as follows:
- By number of people in the household ($695 per adult, $347.50 per child or maximum $2085)
You’ll pay whichever penalty is higher.
How much are West Virginia ACA Subsidies? What are the requirements?
Affordable Care Act Subsidies are also called, “Premium Tax Credits.”
|Federal Poverty Level||Insurance Premium After PTC Subsidy|
|Up to 133% FPL||2% of income|
|133-150% FPL||3%-4% of income|
|150-2000% FPL||4%-6.3% of income|
|200-250% FPL||6.3%-8.05% of income|
|250-300% FPL||8.05%-9.5% of income|
|300-400% FPL||9.5 of income|
|Over 400% FPL||No Government Subsidy|
Medicaid Expansion under the Affordable Care Act
West Virginia expanded the Medicaid program under the Affordable Care Act Health Care Reform.
Insurance Companies that offer Affordable Care Act Health Insurance Plans in West Virginia:
The following insurance companies are offering Affordable Care Act Plans in the Marketplace.
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield West Virginia (14 plans)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on West Virginia Affordable Care Act:
- Who runs the West Virginia Affordable Care Act? Federal
- Where can I sign up for West Virginia Affordable Care Act? Click here
- How much is West Virginia Affordable Care Act? Click here for the average ACA premium
- Did West Virginia expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act? Yes
Click here for more Frequently Asked Questions on Obamacare / Affordable Care Act.
For more information on the West Virginia Obamacare / Affordable Care Act:
Federal HealthCare.Gov Marketplace
West Virginia Department of Insurance
1124 Smith St.
Charleston, WV 25301
(TDD) (304) 558-1296
If you have a hard time affording health coverage and you have questions about eligibility or current Medicaid benefits, go to:
Client Services toll-free at 1-800-642-8589 or in Charleston at (304) 558-2400.
West Virginia’s five largest cities in terms of population: Charleston, Huntington, Parkersburg, Morgantown, and Wheeling. You can apply for Affordable Care Act Health Insurance in any city in West Virginia.